Packing. I really have a love-hate relationship with packing. I get so excited to pack for a trip and then about half way through I am over it. I am not one of those amazing travelers that can pack for a month long trip overseas in a carry on. Apparently, those types of women never sweat in the summer or spill food on themselves during dinner. I need options! LOTS of options. I have devised a method for organizing myself for trips, but really have yet to master the art of packing. Let’s just say I am a work in progress…
1. Know the culture. A quick google search can show you images of what people are wearing in the city you are visiting. America has a very relaxed dress code that can be insulting to others around the world. Make sure you know what to wear in order to be respectful of the culture.
2. Check the weather. Always check the weather conditions for the duration of your stay. Some nights may require a light jacket or even an umbrella. Get a good idea of what Mother Nature may throw at you.
3. Have an idea of what you are doing during your stay. Are you climbing the pyramids or are you sitting on the beach? Or maybe both? Each activity may require different footwear and/or dress. Might be a little difficult to take a hike in high heels. Know you activities and how to dress for them.
4. Roll your clothes, don’t fold. You will have far more room in your suitcase if you roll your clothes versus folding them. This also helps with wrinkling and you would be surprised what you can actually fit in your shoe when you roll it. I’m all about saving space and not going over the luggage weight limit.
5. Breathe. If you forget something, so be it. The hotel will have basic toiletries that you can purchase (or maybe give away for free). If they don’t, oh well! Life is too short to worry about forgetting your toothbrush. Take a deep breath and just have fun!